With just a few ingredients, this dish is very simple and takes less than 30 minutes to whip up. Great for a weeknight. I serve it as a main, but if you are looking for a carb to serve on the side, you can easily omit the sausage and enjoy it alongside another protein.
I served it next to a salad with a bed of mixed greens topped with cherry tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, and drizzled balsamic reduction on top.
ORZO & SAUSAGE SKILLET
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
- Olive oil
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 3 sausage links of your choice (about 300g)
- 1 cup orzo
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated or shaved
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped asparagus and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and save for later.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan and add in sausage, cut into rounds. Cook until all pieces are cooked though (about 5 minutes). Stir in chopped garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Next, add in the orzo and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- When orzo is done cooking, remove lid and add the cooked asparagus back into the pan. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes to taste. Serve immediately.
What kind of sausage should I use?
I like to use chicken sausage because it is mild in flavour and low in fat. I have also used mild Italian pork sausage before which also tastes great.