For me, on a hot day, there is nothing better than a cold glass of this iced tea. I used to make this as a kid with my mom. It’s so simple and the best part about making homemade versus store bought is you can control the sugar. Sometimes, while the tea and lemons are steeping, I like to add fresh sliced strawberries and make a very tasty strawberry lemon iced tea. Make this recipe ahead of time and then store in your fridge as a concentrate for the next time you’re craving iced tea.
HOMEMADE LEMON ICED TEA
Prep Time: 10 min.
Serves: 6-8 cups of iced tea
- 8 Orange Pekoe black tea bags
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Using a kettle, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- In a large, heat safe bowl or measuring cup, add your 8 tea bags. Pour 4 cups boiling water over top and let sit while you slice the lemon.
- Add lemon slices to the bowl. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- After the tea and lemons have fully steeped, squeeze lemon slices and tea bags to get all the juice out and discard. Add your sugar to the bowl and stir to dissolve.
- Serve immediately by pouring warm tea over a full glass of ice. Garnish with a lemon slice. Alternatively, you can refrigerate until you are ready to use. When serving refrigerated version, dilute your concentrate by adding water in addition to the ice till it reaches your desired strength.
- If you want to make more or less servings of this iced tea, the ratio is simply 2 tea bags and 1 tbsp sugar for every 1 cup of boiling water.